New initiative to help athletes achieve success beyond their sport
The University of Ottawa has joined the Game Plan Education Network to offer Canadian National Team athletes more flexible education opportunities while they are training and competing. The University of Ottawa joins an existing network of institutions which includes University of Toronto, Royal Roads University, University of British Columbia, University of Calgary, Athabasca University, Ryerson University, Queen’s University, McGill University, Concordia University, TÉLUQ University, Université de Montréal and Université de Sherbrooke.
University of Ottawa’s Varsity Athletics Department will offer the following support to National Team athletes studying at uOttawa:
- In-house Advocate: Provide a University of Ottawa contact to act as an advocate for this collaboration and for National Team Student-Athletes at the University of Ottawa;
- Orientation: Provide an orientation and make introduction to main point of contact for any academic-related Student-Athlete inquiries;
- Student Athlete Services: Provide guidance on and support for access to Student-Athlete services programs (e.g. academic counselling, career counselling, mental health counselling, peer-to-peer study group, etc.);
- Reduced Course Load: Provide guidance on and support to receive flexibility for Student-Athletes (upon discretion of the University of Ottawa’s faculty or professor) for reduced course loads and the ability to postpone and resume studies, when applicable and related to sport commitments;
- Academic Support: Provide support and guidance for Exam Deferral process;
- Varsity Gym: Provide Student-Athlete with free, or discounted-rate access;
- Aquatic Centre: Provide Student-Athlete with free, or discounted-rate access;
- Performance Dietitian: Provide Student-Athlete with access to Performance Dietician, if one is not available through NSO;
- Mental Performance Coordinator: Provide Student-Athlete with access to Mental Performance Coordinator, if one is not available through the National Sport Organization;
- Athletic Therapy: Provide Student-Athlete with access to athletic therapy;
- Sport Medicine Physician: Access to two appointments during varsity time slots (priority); and,
- Gee-Gees Clothing Option: Access to Gee-Gees Performance clothing.
Game Plan Advisors will work alongside each university-appointed staff member to ensure athletes are supported.
The Education Network was launched as part of Game Plan, Canada’s holistic athlete wellness and transition program for Olympic, Paralympic and National Team athletes. Game Plan, powered by Deloitte, strives to support National Team athletes to live better and more holistic lives. Through the development of their skills and network, athletes can focus on health, education, and career opportunities both during their high-performance career and beyond.
“We are excited to enter into this agreement with Game Plan to support the dreams of Student-Athletes who have the potential to go to the highest level of sport, while completing their education at the University of Ottawa. We want to help all Student-Athletes achieve excellence in both academics and in sport at the same time while supporting the broader national sport system. This is a fantastic initiative that we are proud to be part of with other institutions across Canada and a part of Game Plan’s Education network.” - Eric Bercier, Vice- President, Student Affairs at the University of Ottawa
“Game Plan is very pleased to continue to expand its network of higher educational institutions across Canada with prestigious schools such as the University of Ottawa. This network was established to support high-performance athletes who are pursuing their education while continuing to compete and represent our country.” - Cara Button, Game Plan Senior Manager.
About Game Plan
Game Plan is a collaboration between the Canadian Olympic Committee (COC), Canadian Paralympic Committee (CPC), Sport Canada and the Canadian Olympic and Paralympic Sport Institute Network (COPSIN).
For information: firstname.lastname@example.org