The first full draft of the final report of the First Nations Food, Nutrition and Environment Study (FNFNES) will be tabled during the Food, Nutrition and Environment of First Nations Forum, that will be held at the Delta Hotel in Ottawa, on November 5-6, 2019. The forum will provide the opportunity to discuss 10 years’ worth of related findings and consider associated policy and program recommendations.
However, this is not the end of the road for the FNFNES’ three principal investigators – uOttawa’s Laurie Chan, Université de Montréal’s Malek Batal, and Tonio Sadik of the Assembly of First Nations. New long-term funding will allow them to continue this important work through another comprehensive study, the first of its kind, which will specifically focus on the health, environment and nutrition of First Nations children and youth.
For this new project, they will join forces with several other partners, including Health Canada, CHEO, McGill University, and Université Laval. The project will be financially supported by Indigenous Services Canada.
- Dr. Laurie Chan, Professor and Canada Research Chair in Toxicology and Environmental Health, University of Ottawa
- Dr. Malek Batal, Professor, Université de Montréal, Director of TRANSNUT
- Dr. Tonio Sadik, Director of the Environment Sector, Assembly of First Nations and Part Time Professor, University of Ottawa
- Dr. Tom Kovesi, Pediatric respirologist, CHEO/University of Ottawa
- Dr. Jiping Zhu, Senior Research Scientist, Health Canada and Adjunct Professor, University of Sherbrooke and University of Toronto
- Dr. Treena Delormier, Associate Professor, McGill University and Associate Director, Centre for Indigenous Peoples’ Nutrition & Environment
- Ceremony and launch of the major nationwide study on First Nations children and youth health and the environment: November 6, 2019, 1:00 p.m., in the Delta Hotel’s Capitale meeting room. Press conference on the final report of the FNFNES at 2:00 p.m
- First Nations Food, Nutrition and Environment Forum: Tuesday, November 5, 2019, and Wednesday, November 6, 2019 | Click here for a complete schedule of the Forum.
WHERE: Delta Hotel, 101 Lyon Street North, Ottawa, ON, K1R 5T9 | Map
RSVP: Please confirm your attendance by email to email@example.com
Media Relations Officer